At St Matthew’s, we offer a variety of Sports activities (in PE lessons, lunchtime and after school clubs and out of school trips) to increase pupil activity and to promote healthy lifestyles.
Our PE and Sport Premium for 2018-2019 is £17,660.
The Department for Education objectives for the PE & Sport Premium are:
- To improve the quality of existing PE teaching through continuing professional development in PE for generalists, so that all primary pupils improve their health, skills and physical literacy, and have broader exposure to a range of sports.
- To increase participation levels in competitive sport and healthy activity of pupils, and maintain these into adolescence.
- Schools understand and value the benefits of high quality PE and sport, including its use as a tool for whole school improvement.
Last year (2017-2018) our PE and Sport Premium funding was £14,885. Last year, the money was spent to ensure high quality Sport provision in the school and increasing pupil activity at lunchtimes. Our extra funding has been spent on:
- expert support from a Sports coach, who is helping our teachers to learn new skills in teaching high quality PE lessons
- hiring a local sports hall for PE lessons so children have more space to learn
- after school Sports clubs (netball, football, Dance, Change4Life)
- access to Westminster Sports’ competitions and events
Our aims are for all children to have even greater opportunities and experiences in sport and physical education, whilst maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Our specific objectives for 2018-2019 are focussing on:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity (Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that primary school children undertake at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day in school).
- The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement.
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport.
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils.
- Increased participation in competitive sport.